Monday, January 19, 2009

Ask me if the shoe tastes good

Have you ever had one of those days when nothing you say comes out right? Or more accurately, are there ever days when you actually can say anything and have it come out right?
I was blessed with the good fortune to spend five hours on a Friday afternoon with two of my very wonderful girlfriends. We had a fabulous time: lunch, treats, griping and comforting. Well, the other two were comforting. Everything I said came out arrogant and condescending. Not everything, and I was able to clarify, but it was getting ridiculous. Luckily, I was with such great friends that they could just laugh at me as I digested what I had said. Over and over. They just started giving each other a look that said, "Wait for it... There it is!" As I began to sputter and blush.
I hope today that you have friends like that. People who can see past your words and understand what you were really trying to say. Who can poke a little fun while they do it.

Proverbs 17:17
A friend loves you all the time, and a brother helps in time of trouble.

This is the kind of friend I want to have and the kind I want to be. One who overlooks the fact that I have put my foot in my mouth and offers to share the shoe with me.

No comments: