Monday, December 7, 2009

Biruki wisdom

Biruk has a very centered view of life.  Here are just 2 of his gems of wisdom:

I asked him if he was ever sad about events in his past and if he is ever missing Ethiopia and his former life. 
He said, "Why I be sad?  Your life is your life.  You live it.  Why I be sad about it?  I can't change it.  It's just my life."

This is what I heard him tell Hanna today when she said she couldn't do something because it was too hard. 
"Everything is hard when you don't know how to do it. You just have to keep doing it until it is not hard anymore.  That is why things are easy for me."

This is from a 13 year old boy who lost his father when he was very young, was physically abused by subsequent men his mother was involved with, was shuffled between the homes of other family members, watched as his younger brother was sent to America while caring for his mother who was dying of AIDS.  He had the choice to stay in Ethiopia but chose to go to America with Hanna and become my son because if he didn't, his older sister could not take a job as a servant in Dubai. He has told me that until his mother died, he loved his life.  I could go on, but I think you get the point. 

I can't help but recall my own paltry list of "trials" in comparison to his.  Shame on me for being so insulated that I can't see how my heavenly Father has abundantly blessed me. 
Who expected my son to be so much like Paul.  Would that I were more like them both.

Philippians 4:11-13

Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.
I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Biruk and Hanna... Thank you for all your inspiration and wisdom. Love these kids.

Our journey following Christ said...

What a wise young and brave young man. You must be so proud of him.

Blessings,
Laura