Saturday, May 22, 2010

If the Gospel really is Adoption

This was said at CAFO. Adoption is not the gospel, but the gospel is adoption. That is a beautiful sentiment.

Is it true?

Is the gospel adoption?

Let's see. What is the gospel?

In a previous post I said the gospel was:

Through the death and resurection of Jesus, we have been adopted into God's family. THAT'S THE GOSPEL.

Here are the dictionary results for gospel and redeem according to the theological definition of each.

Gospel:
(theology) The proclamation of the redemption preached by Jesus and the Apostles, which is the central content of Christian revelation.

redeem:
(Theology) to deliver from sin and its consequences by means of a sacrifice offered for the sinner.

So can we agree that Jesus redeemed us through his DEATH.

Literally HIS life for OURS.

So how do we apply this concept to our adoptions? To us as adoptive parents? If we really believe that The Holy Spirit has "called" us to the adoption of our children, then literally, these adoptions are OUR lives for those of our children. The DEATH of our lives, a sacrifice offered to redeem these children.

Our old lives are gone. They no longer exist. they have been sacrificed to redeem our children.
We don't get it back.
It has been forfeit for the needs of our children.

This is what we have done by saying YES to the Holy Spirit's call.

DO WE REALLY UNDERSTAND THIS?

We hear an aweful lot about how really we are the ones who have been blessed and saved, (to include my own voice) and it is true. I have been immeasurably blessed by the adoptions of my children.
Unfortunately it seems such focus has been put on the residual blessings reaped from adoption, that the true cost is never evaluated.
Well, at least not until we look around and we realize that HEY, where are all of MY residual blessings. I'm not seeing any, and actually, this is really not great. In fact, it's kind of horrifying!

I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS!!!!

I don't feel safe in my own home. He doesn't love me, much less appreciate me. True, her life was a full on horror prior to living with me, but I've chosen her. I've redeemed her. I have given him a better life. I can't possibly stave the tide of limitless need.
If this is how it is going to be, I take it back.
I won't pay the price.

Is this our gospel?

Jesus begged for the cup to be passed from him, but submitted His will to that of His Father.
This is what has redeemed us.

What has redeemed our children?
Our life if it doesn't hurt too much.
If it doesn't cost too much.
As long as the blessings out weigh the stresses, I am in.
I hear you Lord. I will do what you say as long as you provide enough money that I don't have to sacrifice what I already have.
If I am blessed with smooth transitions and children who fill my love tank.

This is not what I want to base my obedience on.
I can do nothing.
Only the Holy Spirit in me achieves anything of value. Unless he redeems our children through us, there will be no redemption.

I stand on the brink of another adoption. Some may say the "riskiest one yet".

I know her name.
I know her birthdate.
I know she has HIV.
I know nothing else.

The Holy Spirit has impressed upon us the need to be her family. He is not just asking for our time and our money. He is seeking once again to redeem a child;
our lives for hers.

I do not know what the future holds.
Will she love us?
Is she autistic?
Will she have reactive attachment disorder?
Will she be out of control?
Will she die?

Do I really understand that this is what it means to give up our lives for hers? That I am saying "YES" to these unknowns.
With HIS help we are embracing all of it, knowing that there is not promise of any blessing from this act of obedience other than the hope that one day we will here these words: Well done good and faithful servant!
(Matthew 25:23)


Oh Lord, give us strength.

No comments: