Thursday, November 13, 2008

The reflection we cast

I just got off the phone with a new friend. She received distressing news. Her husband, who has been dibilitated by illness for some time now was told that his cancer has spread. He needs a miracle. As we talked and cried on the phone, praying for a miracle, she was comforted by the fact that she is a child of the miracle maker. What is miraculous to us is ordinary to God. She knows that God can heal him. God has miraculously extended his life already.
What is difficult for us to understand as Christians, and impossible for those who are not, is that in all things, God will be glorified. I hope and pray that God will be glorified in her husband's healing. I know though, that God may need to be glorified through her husband's death. It would be so much easier to celebrate the miracle. Our struggle is to submit to his will and be refined through it.
I see what God is doing in her life and I feel ashamed that I feel that I am burdened by my blessings. That they are a refining process for me. Blessed by the wonder of my 3 children. Blessed with the ability to choose to teach them at home. Blessed with a healthy husband who loves me. Blessed that I am a stay-at-home mom. Blessed that my only health issues are minor irritations. Blessed that I have been chosen to mother 2 more of God's children. All of these blessings have had me screaming that my head is going to explode. I struggle to be faithful with these blessings. How much more difficult to be faithful with tragedy.

Psalm 118:1
Thank the Lord because he is good. His love endures forever.

Please pray for my friend Christina and her husband Brian. Petition the Lord on their behalf. I pray that the peace that passes all understanding will guard their hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Please Lord, bring healing and acceptance and submission. Amen.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I will be praying for them both and can I just say I am so impressed with you! 4 post already??? So cool!