Sunday, July 5, 2009

Same message

Every time I think I might move off of this topic, I continue to be slapped in the face with the same message, so brace yourselves. These next verses describe Jesus on the cross. They also describe "one of these" from the verses in the past posts. The very ones who we are supposed to be DOING for.

Psalm 22:14-18 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; My heart is like wax; it is melted within me. My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue cleaves to my jaws; and you lay me in the dust of death. For dogs have surrounded me; a band of evildoers has encompassed me; they pierced my hands and my feet. I can count all my bones. They look, they stare at me; They divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots.

Am I being melodramatic? Am I exaggerating? I wish I were. I wish it were not as grave as I say. but more and more it is. If I were to describe it as it really is, in all probability some of you would not read any further. We don't want to hear it. We don't want to know it. The stark reality of our sin is too sickening, too unpleasant. We want to shut our eyes, stop our ears, and bury our heads. Ignorance is bliss.
We live in our own world- undisturbed, uninformed, and untroubled by realities that could demand our concern and attention as God's ambassadors of reconciliation. It is a delight to be an ambassador when you enjoy the notoriety, the privileges, and the niceties of life. But bring on the demands of resolving issues and problems, of confronting the unpleasant and the unjust, and we say, "you can forget my ambassadorship."
We want to be healed ourselves. But we do not want to be involved in others' healing. We don't want our hands soiled. Let us send our money; let us give from afar. Let us hear only enough to motivate us to compassion, not enough to haunt our memories.
If we are to be God's representatives on earth, manifesting to the world the character of God, if we are to minister rather than be ministered unto, we must search out those who need a physician and become actively involved in healing the wounds of His people. There is no question about it, Beloved, because the name of our God is Jehovah-rapha, the Lord who heals!
from Lord, I want to Know you, by Kay Arthur

Daily I am more and more convinced that this life is NOT ABOUT ME! It is not important if my kids get to play soccer or go to Disney World, or have their own room. It is about us, God's church, doing His work, to His glory. If we get to do those other things, great, but we really should be realizing that WE GET TO BE HIS HANDS AND FEET. WE GET TO SERVE OUR CREATOR BY:
ADOPTING A CHILD
SERVING THE POOR
SACRIFICING OUR PERSONAL COMFORT
LIVING ENTIRELY DEPENDANT UPON HIS PROVISION WITH NO FINANCIAL SAFETY NET. WE DON'T NEED A NET, WE HAVE JEHOVAH-JIREH THE LORD WHO PROVIDES.

Do we believe it? Do we really believe that God is the Lord who provides? Guess what? He is the Lord who provides, and most often He provides US to meet the needs of others.
Are we doing our job?

3 comments:

Sha Zam- said...

Traci, thank you for your "comment". I love it when you leave those perfect little messages. They help to strengthen me and learn. Thank you. Thank you!

Audrey said...

COMFORT. I pray for the day that I no longer idolize my own personal comfort. Three steps forward, two steps back. Will I ever get there??

Great post. Hard things to confront and most people just don't want to hear it. You just keep talking, though!

Melinda said...

Preach it!!! :) You know I share the same passion as you do and pray that many more experience God when they get involved with "the least of these"